Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Join Us

Robbie Rocket - The Next Chapter...

Discussion in 'Work in progress' started by Shamrockez, May 16, 2010.

1. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
    I'm finally going to be bringing Robbie home after he went to live with my mum nearly 2yrs ago! :D

Here's the old thread about him: http://www.evvo.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9132

And what he currently looks like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This weekend Steve and I went over to Kent in the T5 to pick up a genuine New Beetle Cup body kit. For those of you who aren't familar with them, this is what they look like:
    [​IMG]
    <o></o>
    [​IMG]
    <o></o>
    And this is the kind of look I want for Robbie:
    [​IMG]
    <o></o>
    <o>The aim is to make him look a bit like a road legal cup car. I'm not planning to go all out with 4wd conversions (were the cup cars 4wd? I know the RSIs were) or anything like that - I want a car that I can use and have fun in. He's not going to be a show car, or a race car - just something to have a lot of fun in :D
    </o>

All the Beetle Cup cars are petrol, and Robbie is infact a diesel. So, I'm going to build Robbie as what I think VW may have done if they'd built Beetles for their TDi Cup:
    [​IMG]

<o></o>
    <o>And if you're wondering - yep, the stripes will be staying! :D It wouldn't be Robbie without some stripes! Plus I'll be putting on a load of sponsorship type stickers to make him look more like the ones you see on the track.
    </o>

I've set the kit up in the garden (I couldn't resist!):
    [​IMG]
    <o>

</o>
    [​IMG]
    <o></o>
    [​IMG]
    <o></o>So that's where I'm up to with him. I'll post more as I collect parts and when I bring him home.
    <o></o>
    Really excited about this :D
    <o></o>
    I know a few on here have fitted Cup car or RSI kits, so if anyone has any pearls of wisdom, I'd really appreciate some tips :) so far I've found out that you can modify 06 on Beetle indicators to fit, or mk3 Golf indicators and some kind of Seat Cupra grills can be made to fit the front?
  2. Graham

Graham Moderator Staff Member

Outside Lane Hogger
    Rollin in my 2.0, rag top down so my hair can blow
    Home page:
    Those cup kits are getting a bit common now I reckon :laughing: :p

Does this mean it`s going to be Robbie the Rsi Rocket now ? :D
  3. Shamrockez

Home page:
    Maybe! :D

Yep the world and his wife has one now :lol:
  4. 1958 Harry

1958 Harry Thats Mr Moderator to you! ;-) Staff Member

Very cool Luce!

I'm sooo jealous!

Whens the Bella/Robbie swap happening?

You gonna go the whole hog with Robbie with bigger injectors/turbo, give him true RSI performance?

For the painting/fitting dont forget to give us at VDub Resto a call ;)
  5. Shamrockez

Home page:
    Not sure if I'm going to swap Bella. We might just shove her in the corner of the garage to think about what she's done.

Yeah i'm going to do some engine mods to him. I have no idea what though, as I've never really looked into it before.

Gonna have a go at painting him myself and see what happens.... I figured that if it all goes horribly wrong, I can get him done by a proffesional.
  6. 1958 Harry

Cool :)

I'm not sure on a non PD bug, but I know on the PD bugs 150 injectors, mufferectomy, remap and a hybrid Turbo and you can get them pushing 300bhp ;)

I'd think a non PD would be something similar, just dont forget to upgrade the DMF/clutch
  7. Shamrockez

Home page:
    I think the older ones are single mass? But yeah - wouldn't harm to upgrade it as they've done over 100k!

I'll ask over on the org to see what can be done - they have more of Robbie engined Bugs over there :)
  8. myblackbeetle

myblackbeetle Member

You need to talk to Pete Smith who has just joined up as VIS-Tuning, his brother Andrew drives the carbon wrapped 2.0TDI New Beetle Cup car in the VW Cup
  9. Shamrockez

Home page:
    Thanks - will do :)

2.0 TDi... *jealous* :lol:
  10. Matthewj

Matthewj 3rd Gear

Think with the non PD engine you can pick up the injectors from the T5 ok you can get 5 of them for about£80 and just keep one as a spare. then bigger turbo and remap. for long lasting power put a new oil cooler in. Also upgrade you stopping power. best bet is the 1.8t hubs and some tt breaks unless you want to go stupid and get porche/ebc rotors and calipers. Shame you didn't have the PD engine as been researching engine stuff on that for a good 6 months. and got my shopping list all sorted.
  11. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Moderator Staff Member

Home page:
    Are we going to have a Beetle Cup Kit fitting day? If so...i'll help...or rather, ill supply coffee lol
  12. 1958 Harry

The non PD engines have DMF's as well unfortunately, I think all mk4 Golf TDi's have DMF's :(

Lol another bumper fitting day.
  13. Matthewj

Matthewj 3rd Gear

If you are going for real power from you TDI DO NOT put another DMF in it, get a VW G60 clutch and VR6 flywheel they can handle a lot more torque and bolt right in i never had time to get those parts when my clutch whent as needed th car working asap... i did get the best Sasch clutch i could that cost me £340 and is good for about 300 torque but the G60/VR6 is the better way to go, the only bad point is they say as it's not a DMF you can get a bit more engine vibration.
  14. 1958 Harry

I get a resonance/vibration at between 2000-2500rpm (do you get this - sounds almost like an exhaust noise) anyway so a bit more isnt going to matter!
  15. Matthewj

Matthewj 3rd Gear

um i think i know what you mean, but this is more gearbox gear leaver engine mount sort of vibration :p but then again if you put all new powerflex bushes in the front you probably will not notice it. That vibration your talking about i only seem to get on cold as soon as the blue temp light goes out it seems to go. I've got a can of EGR spray that i still haven't used yet :p do you know is it just a case of taking of your airbox and spraying it striaght in? by passing the filter ? and then you keep the car at about 2500rpm ? and just squrit in burts till it's all gone ? ( bit of topic but TDI talk is fun :p )
  16. 1958 Harry

Mine does it hot or cold, but gets a bit worse when its warmed up. The way i'd describe it is it vibrates (only way I can describe it) I suppose at 2000rpm which kind of sounds like the exhaust resonating underneath. but the turbo feels like it hesitates at this point as well.

Not sure what it is, fairly sure its not DMF related as thats silent at idle, and i'm hoping its nothing to do with the Turbo (the car isn't smokey nor does it use oil), its just coming up to 71k...

The only other thing it could be to do with is theEGR to intercooler pipe is worn on mine and a loose fit so I'm wondering if the Turbos loosing boost at this rev range.

I havent had it up on the ramp to check yet, but if it is something engine wise be good to know as I dont know that much about the TDi PD engine.

I take it this EGR spray is an alternative to physically removing it to clean it out?
  17. Matthewj

Matthewj 3rd Gear

I also don't have my bak box any more, maybe thats why i don't notice it? could be coming from that maybe ? did you know anything about this EGR cleaning spray ?
  18. 1958 Harry

Hmmm could be, I've got plans for mine in the future (when funds allow), it is desperate for a service so thats my first job end of this month, see if that helps, then its onto the other likely causes, EGR, Exhaust etc.

It doesn't seem to affect performance so I'm not overly worried at the moment.

Nope, never heard of it, I thought you had to remove the EGR to clean it.

I'm dubious with sprays like that as it could push a load of crud from the EGR through the Turbo, I think I'd rather play it on the safe side and clean it out properly - one day when I can be arsed :laughing:
  19. Matthewj

Matthewj 3rd Gear

20. 1958 Harry

I cant see the vid at work. Personally tho I'd not fancy doing it to my car, a) it probably wont work, and b) as I said above I reckon it could end up pushing a load of crap through the Turbo, if it was to work. I suppose to be safer you could do it with the EGR to intercooler pipe reomved - that way all the ****e will just fly out the end of the pipe instead of down into the intercooler/turbo.