Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Join Us

New Beetle 2 is happening

Discussion in 'Beetle News' started by Olly_K, Nov 24, 2007.

1. sunflowerbug

sunflowerbug Member

Claims Adjuster
    Not sure about the new look, too much like the Mini. I agree with the previous posts that the earlier Newbies were the best. I prefer the more curvy look, it's what the Beetle is all about.
  2. The last Mk1 was produced when they started to produce the horrendous facelift models with those squared off wings, even the ones with the indicators in the mirrors is debatable, that's more like a mk1.5. :slap: to the designers for that offence to the eyes.

Let's hope they don't mess it up again.
  3. 1958 Harry

1958 Harry Thats Mr Moderator to you! ;-) Staff Member

You do realise the facelift bugs were loosely based on the RSI, If you look at the front bumper and arch profiles they are very similar.
  4. Yep, and they're ugly as sin as well.
  5. Gallo

Gallo New Member

It's a matter of likes.
  6. LEZ3432

LEZ3432 New Member

for once I actually agree with NT :D
  7. Exactly. And i don't like them.

Don't get me wrong i like the kit (or variants of) on other cars, Daryl's and G&V's cars for example, but I saw one for the first time at DC10 and well, they are butt ugly in the flesh.
  8. 1958 Harry

I think the original NB was better looking as well, however I dont think the final generation was 'ugly as sin' as tbh they dont look that different, where they look the most different is the rear lights, especially as to a lot of people who know nothing about NB's usually they dont notice the difference between the two.

Still horses for courses and all that.

And un fortunately they have to modernise it otherwise it wont sell. Tbh the same can be said for the first and second generation New Mini (lets not get into a debate over whether we like them) imho the first shape looked a lot better and in proportion than the 06 on ones.

The times have passed where VW could make the same car for 40 years and it still sell unfortunately, and as VW missed a trick with our generation of NB lets hope the new one (if/when its realeased) has decent modern engines, decent handling, more modern technology and this time they market it properly to make it a true challenger to the Mini.
  9. Gallo

Gallo New Member

10. Agree about the mini, especially the woeful Clubman. (where's the vomit smiley?)

As for the last gen it's the arches and rear lights for me that kills it. Too square and look like eyes respectively.
  11. 1958 Harry

I have to say for me the rear lights is what lets it down on our 07, they look cheap and are stupid shapes. if I could find something to change em to something more decent it would clean up the rear end a lot.
  12. The one thing i do like is the front indicators on the later models, a lot neater.

The biggest thing about the RSI that annoys me though is this.

Audi TT 3.2 quattro: 247bhp, 320nm torque, 4wd
    Golf Mk4 R32: 237bhp, 320nm torque, 4wd
    Beetle RSI: 221bhp, 320nm torque, 4wd

Once more the beetle gets the sh1t end of the stick power wise, even though it looks like it can blast the other 2 into oblivion. Oh, and the wheels are tiny for the arches, despite being that wide.
  13. 1958 Harry

It has always baffled me why the Beetle always got the detuned or old versions of the Golfs engines? Even the 1.8T had 150bhp vs 170bhp in the equivalent Golf.
  14. Something to do with the american market being the biggest and their more strict pollution regime??? would explain the silly short fifth gear as well.

(Good debate btw)
  15. 1958 Harry

Possibly, but surely they could have done that by fitting a new FSI/TSI engine to em with much lower emissions?

I reckon it was more likely down to cost, a cheap facelift keeping the old (but very good in the case of the 2.0) engines was much easier as VW knew the level of sales of the car would be sustained regardless.

Also by detuning the engines the Beetle would never really be able to challenge the Golfs sales.
  16. I reckon you're probably right on that one. Would be nice to see the next gen have some up-to-date tech in it though. The nice 1.4 tsi engine would be a good start, A Gti version with the 2.0Tfsi in would go down a treat as well.
  17. 1958 Harry

Definately, and a proper GTi type model with decent suspension, sports seats, GTi type performance, etc, etc would also be nice.

Perhaps they could sort of base it around the 70's 'Super Beetles' theme to keep it retro?
  18. Nah, keep it modern and clean. A bit like the V5's or the R32 really, just enough of a difference so people notice.
  19. dfernscobra2000

dfernscobra2000 New Member

Is this the New 2011 Beetle??[​IMG]
  20. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
    Yes. But any pics are just artists guesses at the moment.