Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Join Us

Electric Window Problem

Discussion in 'Bug & Veedub Problems' started by Boubepo, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Boubepo

Boubepo New Member

Hi,

I have a 1998 VW Beetle 2 L Petrol LHD [USA import]

The drivers side [left side] electric window stopped working

I replaced the mechanism/regulator which was broken and the cable had wound around the motor in a birds nest

The new regulator has been fitted but there is no power to the window - the passenger window works fine

Thinking it was the motor I ordered a secondhand left sided one from ebay but when fitted neither window opened - I realised that the left UK motor which I'd ordered was obvously the passenger side and think that could be the reason niether window opens as its wired up differently?

I've put the old one back on and at least the passenger window opens but not the drivers side - Both windows open and close with the key turned in the door for 5 secs - which shows the motor itself works

My thoughts are - the wiring/circuit board could be the problem on the motor? but before I try and buy a second hand LHD model from the USA or Europe - I thought I'd ask for help here

Thanks in advance as any help or information
  2. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
    Oh, how strange! It does sound like you might need to order a LHD version. Have you taken a note of the part number so you can search for it? Although you would have thought that with the old one fitted it should work as normal.

Have you looked to see if there are any wires broken in rubber bit between the door and the body?
  3. Boubepo

Boubepo New Member

Thanks for your reply

I've double checked for any broken wires and have carried out continuity tests on what I think are the important ones, also checked for any bent or broken pins on the connectors but nothing obvious is showing

Im going to check ebay see if I can find a lefthand motor from a LHD
  4. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
    You would have thought it was different, would you? But it obviously must be. Something to keep in mind as I have a leftie too.