Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Join Us

Brake Issues

Discussion in 'Bug & Veedub Problems' started by jezk, Feb 14, 2015.

1. jezk

jezk New Member

Hey! I've just bought my old beetle back as I saw it advertised and couldn't resist haha, anyway I'm having issues with the brakes and thought I would ask here before starting to throw money at it to find the problem. When I brake the pedal doesn't return fast and it seems to hold the brakes for a second or two. It's a turbo and when I'm in boost and go to brake the pedal is really hard and won't work for a second or two?? The master cylinder has been changed last week as obviously the guy who had it had issues with the brakes. What could the problem be? Brake servo? I'm hoping it's not much as I've got to put an interior back in as someone's has stripped it all but the front seats :(
  2. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
    That's odd. Was the master cylinder bled with VAG COM when it was changed?
  3. jezk

jezk New Member

I'm not sure to be honest, I took it to a garage and he said probably brake servo. It's weird, it's like the brakes work but the pedals slow to return and holds the brakes. Anyway I can tell if it's been bled properly? Or is it a case of sending it to the garage? When I pump the brake with the engine off it goes hard like normal, then when I start it the brake goes normal so the vacuum seems to be fine so does that mean servos ok? I'm far from a mechanic but trying to learn haha
  4. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
    It's probably the servo then - I'm no mechanic either... far from it lol.

If it's been bled properly there will be no air in the system. It's worth asking a garage to bleed the brakes first (worth getting the fluid changed for peace of mind) before doing the servo though.
  5. 1958 Harry

1958 Harry Thats Mr Moderator to you! ;-) Staff Member

Does the ABS work ok?

I'd say servo or Master Cylinder. Was the MC changed at the same time as the servo?

Normally a knackered servo gives a hard pedal but it returns ok.
  6. jezk

jezk New Member

Yeah I think abs is working, the pedals not hard, just holding the brakes on for a second or two as the pedal returns slowly. It's off to the garage this week as its started over heating too! Why did they not put a proper temp gauge in them????
  7. jezk

jezk New Member

Misses has a beetle too, and that's just started over heating too, it's only just had timing belt and water pump done, also a new thermostat and Coolant flange as it split