Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Join Us

beetle

Discussion in 'Beetle News' started by v534, Jul 18, 2011.

1. v534

v534 New Member

Volkswagen's Newest Beetle Begins Rolling Off Production Line At Mexico Assembly Plant
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Associated Press
    By Mark Stevenson
    16 July 2011
    MEXICO - Call it the (new) Beetle.
    The world's first models of the redesigned Volkswagen sedan began rolling off production lines at the company's plant in central Mexico on Friday, with a bigger trunk but also a bit of linguistic baggage.
    Company spokesman Israel Victoria says the firm prefers to call it simply "The Beetle," because "otherwise, it would be 'the new, new Beetle' or 'the newest Beetle.'"
    It is not to be confused with the New Beetle, a redesign of the original 1930s stalwart launched in 1997. VW's plant in Puebla state produced 1.15 million units of the bulbous, rounded New Beetle between 1997 and 2010.
    The latest version, the design of which was unveiled in April, has a flatter roof, a less bulbous shape, narrowed windows and a crease along the side -- and no flower vase near the steering wheel.
    The company said Friday it hopes to be producing 100,000 Beetles annually at the Puebla plant by next year, with about 90 percent destined for export. The new model is expected to be in dealers' showrooms this fall.
    President Felipe Calderon beamed as he climbed into the driver's seat of a bright red Beetle -- the first car to come off the line -- but even he seemed to refer to it by the old name.
    "It is a point of pride for Mexico to know that the new Beetle will be fully produced in our country," Calderon said.
    He also took the opportunity to praise the car's ancestor, which is now sort of known as the old Beetle, or as Calderon called it, the "much loved Volkswagen 'Vocho'."
    That is a Mexican word roughly equivalent to the American nickname the "Bug" that was applied to the original design, a car known formally in dealerships in Mexico as "The Sedan."
    While the new sedan hearkens back a bit more to the original design -- widely loved in Mexico because of its low cost and ease of repair -- Andreas Hinrichs, president of the board of VW's Mexico subsidiary, said the latest Beetle isn't an everyman's car.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]"Our current Beetle is not a people's car in this sense, but rather an automobile for a style of life," Hinrichs said.
    The Mexican government said the company spent about $400 million to re-tool the plant for the new version of the sedan, and production of the car will keep about 2,000 jobs at the plant.
    Calderon expressed hope that Mexico would become one of the world leaders in car production, noting that the export output of all the country's assembly plants rose by more than 50 percent in 2010, to almost 2 million vehicles.
    "The Beetle is a strong symbol of our brand. It combines the emotional heritage of the original Beetle with the future of Volkswagen," said Hubert Waltl, VW board member for production and logistics of the Volkswagen passenger cars brand.
    Puebla state Gov. Rafael Moreno Valle waxed poetic about the car, even though he used the old (new) name.
    "The New Beetle will become a contribution of Puebla, and Mexico, to the world," the governor said at a ceremony launching production.
    The standard version of the latest Beetle has an upgraded 170-horsepower, 2.5-liter gasoline engine, and VW will offer the option of a sportier, 200-horsepower, turbocharged engine.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  2. timson

timson Member

Retired
    New New Beetle

Well thats the end of Bug production as far as I am concerned.To all people out there with traditional bugs just keep them on the road as long as you can. Timson
  3. Vee.Dubster

Vee.Dubster Member

IT Bod
    Home page:
    ???

The real Beetle production ended in 2003, New Beetle production ended in summer 2010.

The 21st century Beetle is just another stylistic interpretation of the original Beetle in just the same way the New Beetle was.

The New Beetle that we all know and love is no more a traditional Beetle than the newly announced model. They are both simply contemporary Golf’s in a pretty frock!
  4. timson

timson Member

Retired
    New New Beetle

I agree with everything you say about later bugs.I have an 02 V5 best part is the engine.The car is unreliable ,leaks like a sieve but to be honest with youI would never have chosen it myself,I had BMWS in the past and had this car given to me by my daughter.She has two 1960s BUGS.VW in the past were known for there reliability and being watertight.Timson
  5. Vee.Dubster

Vee.Dubster Member

IT Bod
    Home page:
    I've had a better experience than you then, I'm on my second New Beetle, and they're both been very good, very little needed other than servicing and they both have worked hard for their living.

I have a 1967 Beetle sat in the garage too :)
  6. Phil

Phil Banned

Careful guys people here worship VW's new creation

This thing isn't a Beetle.. they should have called it something else...

Ive had 2 NB's both VERY reliable, Watertight and very low Maintenance

Both were Pre 2001 models.... guess the apple went bad after 2001 as all you read about is problem after problem

You all should get a 1998... lol

But sayiing that if and when i sell this one im NEVER going back to one... to fluffy a scene for me
  7. timson

timson Member

Retired
    Doodle Bug

They dont really worship the latest VW Doodle Bug do they!!!!!!!!!
  8. Phil

Phil Banned

These people name their cars for god sake... so yes i bet they do
  9. Graham

Graham Moderator Staff Member

Outside Lane Hogger
    Rollin in my 2.0, rag top down so my hair can blow
    Home page:
    I`m going to name our NB, Bob :D

Maybe even Fluffy Bob :laughing:
  10. Phil

Phil Banned

nice for you...
  11. Graham

Outside Lane Hogger
    Home page:
    Not really. I just can`t bring myself to name an inanimate object :laughing:
  12. Phil

Phil Banned

u sure seams very trendy here....
  13. Graham

Outside Lane Hogger
    Home page:
    If it fails the MoT in a couple of weeks I might have a name for it :laughing:
  14. Phil

Phil Banned

if its a post 2001 i bet it does fail lol
  15. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
    Neither of mike leak :confused:

Nor have they been unreliable. Robbie's had a couple of issues, but mostly due to being not used for so long.

Deffo had more issues with our aircooled lot.