Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Join Us

6sp gearbox

Discussion in 'Bug & Veedub Problems' started by S33RY M, Jan 25, 2010.

1. S33RY M

S33RY M Member

hgv driver
    As above.does anyone no of a thread for a installation of a 6sp gearbox. Can it be done. I Have my eye on a seat cupra gearbox but does it fit? What do I need new clutch, drive shafts, gear linkage. What does it in tail. Been told to put diesel 6 gear in my box. Can it be done? I no it is a question you have all asked yourself. 5sp run out of steam too quick. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. marcs bug

marcs bug evvo VIP Club Member

recovery driver
    I have been thinking about this to i would love to add a 6spd box to my bug as well
  3. beetle s

beetle s Member

Home page:
    So..its late but a view infos...
    VW Golf 4 / Bora / Beetle Turbo S / Seat Leon all with 180 hp with the code FML and FZQ will fit.
    Also the ERR from the TT and GTi 25 years..it s the same with a little bit differnz gear ratio to the FML/FZQ.

Sebastian
  4. 1958 Harry

1958 Harry Thats Mr Moderator to you! ;-) Staff Member

A fair few people over on the US NB forum have done it, do a search on here: www.newbeetle.org

It isn't as easy as simply bolting it in so I've heard, you have to change other bits like the driveshafts etc to get it to fit :)

Remember as well, if the 6sp box you are fitting has the same final drive ratio as your 5sp then you wont be gaining anything by fitting it. Make sure if you do fit a 6sp you make sure it has a higher final drive ratio :)
  5. Graham

Graham Moderator Staff Member

Outside Lane Hogger
    Rollin in my 2.0, rag top down so my hair can blow
    Home page:
    Haven`t V&G got a 6sp in Hernie ?
  6. Watching with interest.
  7. porschetrimr

porschetrimr Active Member

seery m is yours a turbo or 2litre ?think its a lot easier on a turbo as vw did plenty of 6pd turbo cars
    but on the 2 litre its supposed to be a lot more involved,i seem to remember chris tt explaining it to me (after a few bevvies at u.d one year)and its not an easy bolt on job! like luke says, there was allsorts of other bits and pieces you needed to make it work,more than i was prepared to take on.
    alot of the .org people recommend putting a diesel 5th gear into the 2 point slow box which is supposed to be good but again its a lot of work and cost,not sure youd ever recoup it in the gas ya saved
    pretty sure v&g have one but then they have the whole shebang seat race turbo motor that goes with it, so they werent trying to mate it to something it was never meant to fit to!
    would love someone to do it to a 2 ltr just to see it done!
  8. neil76

neil76 New Member

Graham fitted a 6 speeder from a Leon Cupra to the stock 1.8T motor - think you need driveshafts and the linkage also.
    I was always tempted to drop the 130BHP TDi 6 speeder into my TDi and then add the injectors etc.. from the 130 and remap as it would transform the car. (I have the same engine/box combo in a passat and motorway cruising in 6th is so much more pleasant than in the 5 spd bug).
  9. myblackbeetle

myblackbeetle Member

Neil's absolutely right - the 6 speed box from the Cupra R 225 was originally fitted to the factory fitted AWU 1.8T 150. The cable shift mechanism was bought along with the gearbox from a breakers in north Nottinghamshire. What I forgot about was the starter motor needed for the larger diameter flywheel. The dealers had to supply that mid install. I retained the original ratios of the gearbox, didn't need to mess with those. I think Prodrive had a play with the internals along the way - some sort of chemical treatment took place but that was a bit hush hush.... A Quaife ATB diff was fitted after much messing around as it is a very tight fit in there. Helix over at Silverstone had just finished developing their lightened and balanced flywheel so one of those went in along with one of their uprated ultra heavy paddle clutches. The driveshafts on Hernie are a real mixed affair with a combination of CV joints and shafts from Cupra R, R32 and Passat - the hubs were previously converted to 5x112 to take the 8.5x20 BBS RS-GTs when the Cup kit went on. Critical here was the length of the drive shaft - we famously trashed a driveshaft in the car park at a Mallory Park trackday and we were only spectating for the day! The Forge quickshift kit went on to make life a bit easier as the box seemed to have a huge throw in all directions. Getting the gearbox into the car was a very tight squeeze, it fits but with limited clearance. A full set of VF Engineering polyurethane engine and gearbox mounts was imported from the States - extremely harsh at first but eventually settle down with a bit of enthusiastic driving.
    The SEAT Motorsport Cupra Cup engine (originally a AMK 225 block) mated straight to the modified gearbox but because of the bigger modified turbo sixth isn't always the best gear for spirited driving. Sometimes a bit of stiring is needed before the turbo comes on boost - maximum power is at 6835rpm and maximum torques is at 5785 so a bit like driving a KR 1.8 16v engine from the Golf 2.
    Obviously it can be done but ask yourself why you want it as it might be better swapping the ratios you currently have either for acceleration or for economy.