Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Join Us

1st bug, yellow 2.slow :)

Discussion in 'Work in progress' started by craig 1010cc, Mar 17, 2014.

1. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Picked this little beasty up at the weekend (I'll take my own pic's shortly, honest :laughing: )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it's a 2000 2.0, 'only' has 93k on the clock (cambelt/waterpump done at 70k a couple of years ago) and has had some tasteful mods (lowered, 18's, rear spoiler, front bumper smoothing plus an induction kit) and was well. loved.

Sadly how ever, I viewed it (having only just appeared on autotrader) before they had washed it (private sale, previous owner is a recently graduated teacher and has been convinced by her parents to buy a sensible new car), I've been out in all weekend (racking up a trouble free and enjoyable 350 miles) so this afternoon was the 1st chance to chuck a bucket of water over it.

Hmm, some crazed paint over the rear bumper, looks like its had a little nudge in the past then, and a crazy paving effect on the drivers door/rear 1/4 to go with the lacquer peel across the A-C pillars I knew about.

Oh well, at least the mechanics seem good (although it sounds like a drop link needs replacing) and the fuel/oil consumption seem ok (33 MPG and the oil level hardly shifted). So looks like I'll be looking at paint options soon :rolleyes:
  2. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Looking over the paint issues with a fresh set of eyes (rather than having just uncovered them) I think I'll live with them for the minute and see what I want to do.

Time for some fresh pic's ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Well, 1 week and 600 miles and the check engine light has come on :mad: So I've ordered a scanner to have a look at what the codes are and reset it on Monday.

Did have a poke about under the bonnet, seems the K&N kit is missing the mounting steady and 1 of the zip ties that where trying to hold it in place had snapped. I've redone them (and got the filter off at the mo for a clean and re-oil) so we shall see if that makes any difference (I had just driven across a very bumpy farm yard).

On the plus side, checked the oil level again and it has hardly moved in the 600 miles
  4. retro boy

retro boy Evvo VIP Club Member

4x4 mechanic
    I would move the number plate up a little as it will be blocking a big chunk of air getting into the rad.
    Like the tiguan alloys.
  5. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Ah, is that what they are off of.

I'm pretty sure the plate has been there 3+ years and I was reading that someone had used vagcom to monitor the water temp live with and without a plate there a week at a time and there was no difference in the water temps they were seeing.
  6. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

7. retro boy

retro boy Evvo VIP Club Member

4x4 mechanic
    Looks like you are right craig, the father in law just bought his wife a tiguan with those wheels on so may well be non original for the car.
  8. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Well, the scanner arrived yesterday so I headed out to see what it said. Took me a few mins to find the port, but soon had it plugged in and scanning.
    It came up with 1 live error and 4 logged ones (not sure what the difference is between the 2)
    Live was
    - P0304 - Misfire on Cyl 4

Logged was
    - P0134 - O2 sensor no activity
    - P01FF - Didn't have this on its database
    - P0302 - Misfire on Cyl 2
    - P0171 - system too lean bank 1
    So I cleared them and it fired up fine (and with no warning light) so I took it out for a spin, still nothing and still nothing after the run in this morning. There is (which I noticed a few days back) a slight unevenness to the idle (worse when its cold), you can just see the needle wobbling slightly, but other than that I can feel or hear a miss. So I suspect it is down to the fact it is well overdue a service. I’ve got the scanner in the boot so (as long as its not raining ) I shall pop out at lunch and plug it in and see if anything has been logged
  9. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Been out and checked, only 1 pending fault and that was P0304 again.
  10. 1958 Harry

1958 Harry Thats Mr Moderator to you! ;-) Staff Member

The wheels are definitely not original for a Beetle, standard would be Monte Carlo alloys.

One of your Lambda sensors has failed. As you are getting a lean condition on bank one sounds like it's the sensor pre cat that has failed.
  11. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

I would have thought if the lambda had gone that afetr 40 miles (and 3 start ups) it would have popped up again in the fault codes? I shall continue to monitor over the next week or so and get the garage to check it when it goes in for its major service. But thanks for the heads up on which is it likely to be :)
  12. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Well, been a further week or so and had the light come on twice, both times just No4 miss so today it went in for a long overdue service. The plugs were gen VW items, but very old and massive gaps, now idles much smoother and the pollen filter looked like it had been in there for years :p So we shall see if the miss comes back, the garage suggested a set of leads would be the next thing if it does come back. Other than that, its going to need discs and pads in the next 6 months (any suggestions welcome) and they found a small amount of play in the bottom ball joints, so new arms will go on with the discs at the MOT in Aug.

So with the thumbs up from them that I haven't bought a complete lemon ( ;) ) its time to start making it my own so a set of 15" golf steels will be sourced shortly along with some wide whitewall flaps to go with the 195/65's for the front and the 205/65's I've got sat in the garage for the rear along with a set of the big hubcaps.
  13. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Been a while since I last updated this. A few days after the last post I handed the keys over to my wife (long story). Since then it's had 2 services and mots, new discs and pads all round , new bottom arms and a ball joint as well as a set of leads. It still has the occasional miss, the coil pack is next on the list. It has had a continual water ingress into the drivers footwell, tried clearing the drains and checked all the seals but couldn't trace the cause. Then started to have issues locking it which pointed to a broken wire in the door loom. Sure enough I found a broken previously repaired wire, but also that the door membrane was gaffer taped at the bottom and soaking wet. Bingo :) source of the water found. A few days later (before I had a chance to seal up the door ) the door window dropped and looks like it needs a new mechanism :( oh well, it's got to come apart anyway.

And then last weekend happened, when I was driving home and used a civic as a brake at a round about :oops: so it is now looking a bit sorry for it's self and needs a new cooling pack. Managed to find a complete one on eBay, so that should be here tomorrow and hopefully have it back on the road by next weekend. And ownership has returned to me (just sorting ou a Fiat 500 for my wife) so hopefully I'll get to do some of the mods I had planned originally and will get the paintwork finally sorted, but on a very tight budget
  14. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Well we all like pic's don't we
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All looking very sad for its self so decided to try and improve the cosmetics a little and pull the bonnet straighter and try to get rid of the paint from the Civic (needed to use some 400 grit wet and dry in the end which seemed to work quite well)
    [​IMG]
    the bonnet now sits a lot better too, although I'm not sure how much more of the dent I can get rid of as it looked all double skinned, but will see what i can do once its back holding water again
  15. Shamrockez

Shamrockez evvo VIP Club Member & Moderator Staff Member

Approved Driving Instructor
    Home page:
  16. craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc VIP Member

Yup :( but it's off being repaired at the min (well a used cooling pack and crash bar) and then I can start on the bodywork over the summer.